Monday, July 27, 2015

Rants of a Performer

DO WHAT YOU LOVE!!!!

Man, I love performing. Musical theatre has shaped my life.


The thrill I get from being on a stage as a performer can't come from anything else. I just love it, I love it all. The happiness that fills your soul as you sing your heart out in an audition, the nerves while waiting for the cast list to be posted, the tears, whether good or bad, when it finally is posted, going through the script and highlighting all of your lines, the stress of memorizing your part, and then developing your character into an actual person, the hours and hours and hours of rehearsals, the stressful, long, exhausting days/nights of tech week (HELL WEEK), the rush you get when the curtain is finally rising on opening night, or your heart pounding as the overture begins to play....The pure satisfaction of an audience clapping and cheering for the cast. Nothing brings me greater joy.
Ever since I was a kid, all I wanted to do was perform.


I guess it all started with my ballet and tap classes.
However, my dad has been in several bands in his life and so it was natural for me to be listening to music at all hours of the day. I was a pretty shy kid outside of my house, but at home, my siblings and I 

               We're cute, right?

always dressed up and performed our very own little plays and musicals for our parents, or put on the Beatles or Beach Boys, or Michael Jackson and danced around singing for them, and we had SO much fun doing it.
We were also a part of many church plays!
Little did I know back then how much the performing arts would affect my life. 
When I was 11 or 12, I discovered a musical theatre program at a middle school near me. Though I had never necessarily been interested in or even knew anything about musical theatre before, my family figured it would be something fun to try out.



wasn't the school I was assigned to based on my address, but I received permission to go there so I could be a part of this program, called WestArts.
I have been doing musical theatre since then, the 6th grade. So I'm not a "theatre baby" necessarily. However, the minute I started, I knew this was something I was going to stick to. There have been a LOT of ups and downs, stress, happiness and lots and lots and LOTS of tears. But I can honestly say there is not a single show I have ever regretted doing. Whether or not I had a bunch of friends, or had a big part, or even any part at all, I am always devastated when the show I'm in comes to a close. 
You put your sweat, heart, and soul into a show and it breaks your heart when it's over. But it makes it that much sweeter when rehearsals for the next shows begin.
Over the years I've been a part of 3 different companies, and have been a part of 30 productions altogether. The memories I've made are unforgettable, the amount I have learned from these incredible companies is life changing.

WestArts 2006-2008
I really do give the credit to this wonderful company for beginning my love of musicals. This is where I started and prepared for what was ahead. This company helped me get over my stage fright.
      My debut ;) a lead munchkin!

How To Eat Like A Child... I LOVED this show, it is very much underrated.

  My first big role, Grace in Annie (:

By far my favorite WestArts experience, I was lucky enough to play Mayzie LaBird + Bird Girl #2 in Seussical the musical. So much fun <3

After I had graduated from WestArts, I was lucky enough to return as an alumni to MC and perform in a Broadway review they did, as well as assistant direct (and perform in) their production of Oliver, and I had a blast!

MYART 2006-Current
Someone I met in WestArts introduced me to this company, and so after my first 2 WestArts shows, my brother and I decided to try it out. In MYART I continued to learn so much and really grew into the performer I am now. I started participating in the ensemble and having a few smaller roles.

My first MYART show was "You're A Good Man Charlie Brown", I was ensemble, and had the greatest time!
Then I did Peter Pan and played Curley, a lead Lost Boy (I got to shoot an arrow onstage.. Fun stuff)

I had the opportunity to play Louisa Von Trapp in the Sound of Music!

And Charlotte Sowerberry in Oliver!

Over time I learned so much from these wonderful performers and was able to really grow as a performer!

I was able to play the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland which was honestly one of the most fun roles I've ever played.

I played Gertrude McFuzz in Seussical the musical, which was my dream role at that time.

I played Lucy Van Pelt in "You're A Good Man Charlie Brown", another one of my dream roles.

Mrs. Potts in Beauty and the Beast

I went to Huntington Beach High School and was a part of APA, the Academy of the Performing Arts for 2 years where I did a few shows as ensemble, as well as being able to play the stepmother in Cinderella.

        Thoroughly Modern Millie!

              Les Misérables!!

This went on way longer and was totally different than what I originally planned on blogging about but I have actually had a lot of fun looking back on all the old memories I'll always look fondly back at so #NoRegrets

I actually just broke my 3 year break of performing (1 year of school, 1 year of work, and 1 year for my mission) and did another MYART show, Legally Blonde the musical. It had been a while since I was able to do a show, and so I was really sad when I realized that because of work, I wouldn't be able to participate. However, after the show had already been rehearsing, a few people had to drop out and there were some parts left open, and I was asked to join the show the week before the performances. Luckily, I had just quit my (AWFUL) job and gotten a new one that wouldn't conflict, so I finally got to get back on a stage and had so much fun rekindling friendships and creating new ones!


I guess I should try and wrap this up somehow, so this is where I'm going to leave off this post. 
Do what you love. Even if it's hard. Even if you're rejected. Even if you meet some tough challenges (or people haha) along the way. Do it because 100% you will not regret it if you truly love it. Even though some of my experiences in musical theatre were maybe not so great, with some people who I had trouble with, or with maybe not getting the role I would've liked, or being tired all the time, I absolutely would not trade my experiences for anything. My experiences in these 3 companies have truly shaped me into who I am today, and I'm so greatful to have been so lucky <3

DO WHAT YOU LOVE!

~A "Performing" Mormon Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment